Saturday, April 9, 2011

Roasted Beet Salad

I loved beets as a kid. I loved that they stained everything on my plate purple (my favorite color). But somewhere along the way, I just stopped eating them. Maybe my mom stopped cooking them, who knows. But I would guess, probably 15 years went by before I ate beets again. No particular reason why . . . it just happened. And then I moved to Chicago and ordered a beet salad at this local brewpub and it was one of the best salads I've ever eaten. Seriously. So of course I had to try to make it myself.


Roasted Beet Salad

Ingredients
2 small beets
2-3 cups greens, chopped (I used red leaf lettuce)
1/3 cup red onion, diced
1/3 cup feta crumbles
1/2 carrot, shredded or thinly sliced
lemon vinaigrette dressing

*Note: beets will stain your hands very quickly. Wear gloves. I had to wash my hands three times and take a shower before the stain went away.*

Directions
1. Slice the ends off of the beets, so they will sit (and not roll) on a pan. Clean them and pull off any root strings. Then roast for 20 minutes at 400*.

2. While the beets are cooking, combine the lettuce, feta, carrots, and onions and mix well. For the carrot, I like to use a vegetable peeler to get pretty curled pieces of carrot--fancier than just shredding it and easier than trying to slice it super thin.

3. When the beets are done, slice them and cut into quarters and place in the frige to cool.

4. Add beets and dressing to the lettuce right before serving.

serves 2-3

Bon Appetit!
The Food Whore

No comments: