Sunday, April 10, 2011

Meatless Monday: Eggs in a Nest

I meant to try this recipe last week, but like I said, time got away from me. But fortunately we got chard again our Fresh Picks box, and I still had some of the eggs leftover from last week too. This recipe made me super happy. I was a little wary about poaching eggs and the way this would taste all together, but this recipe exceeded my expectations. It was super delicious and super healthy, and I love the possibilities for making variations of it. Carnivores--this is a delicious filling meal. Give it a try!


Eggs in a Nest
(based on a recipe from Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver)

Ingredients
1-2 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 cup leeks, sliced
olive oil (for sauteeing)
1/2 cup carrots, sliced
3-4 cups spinach and chard (I used about half and half)
1/2 eggplant, chopped
2 servings rice, prepared
2-4 eggs
salt and pepper to taste

Directions
1. In a large skillet, warm the olive oil over medium heat and sautee the garlic and leeks.

2. Add the carrots, eggplant, and chard stems (chopped) and sautee for 3-4 minutes.

3. Add the spinach and chard leaves and sautee until wilted, approx 3-4 minutes.

4. Make small indentations in the leaves and crack an egg into each "cup."  Be careful not to break the yolk. Put a lid on the skillet and let the eggs poach. The recipe I was reading says 3-4 minutes. But after that time, the eggs were still very much raw. I let them cook a few minutes longer, which turned out to be too long. Our yolks were solid, which was tasty, but not what I was going for. 4-5 minutes will probably do it. Make sure the whites are set, but the yolk is still runny.

5. Spoon rice on to a plate and scoop the veggies and egg (carefully) on to the rice.

*Note: The original recipe calls for two eggs per person. With all the veggies and rice, I ate one egg and half the veggies and Mr. FoodWhore had two eggs. I'll leave it up to you to decide. This recipe yields enough for two servings.

Bon Appetit!
The Food Whore

No comments: