Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Mama Food Whore's Stuffing

I have a love / hate relationship with stuffing. Part of me loves the deliciousness of it, and part of me thinks it's just filling bread and why waste my precious stomach space on bread when I could be stuffing myself with turkey and gravy and all those tasty casseroles.  Plus, my mom always put mushrooms in her stuffing, so I spent most of dinner picking around them since mushrooms are one of the few foods I just don't like.

But of course Mr. FoodWhore loves stuffing and it's tradition, so I'm making stuffing this year (without mushrooms!).

Ingredients:
1 stick butter
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped mushrooms (optional)
Chopped giblets, optional
loaf whole wheat bread, dried out and cubed
8oz pkg. cornbread stuffing
Approx. 2 cups herb stuffing
2 eggs, slightly beaten
Parsley, sage, rosemary, & thyme
Salt, celery salt, poultry seasoning, & pepper
4 cup turkey stock

Directions:
1. Melt butter in a large pot. Saute vegetables until tender. Remove from heat.

2. Stir in bread, stuffings, eggs, herbs, seasonings, and giblets (optional).

3. Add stock and stir until it is moist. Adjust seasoning; be sure it is fully flavored.

4. Put in sheet pan or casserole dish and heat for 30-45 minutes at 350.

Note: It doesn’t really have to cook, but you want it hot all the way through.



As I said before, I was never really a big fan of stuffing. But this year I am a convert. This recipe is light and delicious and was a perfect addition to the menu.

Bon Appetit!
The Food Whore

No comments: