Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Turkey and Gravy

*I'm going to start posting my recipes today in case you need any last minute ideas for Turkey Day. I'll be updating these posts with pictures and tips as I prepare each item.

Even though this is my first Thanksgiving, I have helped make almost all of the dishes over the years. One thing I have never cooked is a turkey! My dad is usually in charge of the bird and seems to use a different recipe every year. So I went in search of my own recipe and of course, thought of Martha Stewart first!

This year, I'll be using Martha's Perfect Roast Turkey and Gravy recipe. I'm following this recipe almost exactly.  Instead of stuffing the bird with the chestnut stuffing, as suggested, I'm going to stuff it with veggies and herbs and cook my stuffing separately. 

The Fabulous Ms. Stewart's recipe calls for brining the recipe, something my family has never done.  But I decided to give it a try.  Brining takes 24 hours, so it required us to get a head start on preparations.  We made the brine Tuesday night so it can chill completely before adding the turkey on Wednesday morning.

the brine

in the oven

poultry perfection


This is the first turkey I have ever cooked. I am sold on this recipe. It is amazing. The turkey is perfectly moist and seasoned. I highly recommend this method of brining / roasting a turkey.

Bon Appetit!
The Food Whore

No comments: