Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Spicy Hummus

I love hummus. It's so delicious and healthy, and it's a great way to add some extra protein into a vegetarian meal.  I've already tried (and loved!) one hummus recipe, but one of things I love most about cooking is trying different versions of recipes.  The other day we had some spicy hummus from the grocery store, and I went in search of a new recipe to try.

Ingredients
2 cans chick peas, drained (reserve the liquid)
2 cloves garlic
2 tbsp tahini
3 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp salt
3 tbsp parsley
1 tbsp olive oil
1 jalapeno pepper, chopped
dash of crushed red pepper
salt and pepper to taste

Directions
1. In a large food processor, combine garlic, parsley, and the jalapeno. Pulse until well chopped


2. Add in the rest of the ingredients and pulse to mix. The hummus should be somewhat dry and may not mix well.  Add the reserved chick pea liquid until the hummus has reached the desired consistency. I added about 8 tbsp, and my hummus is pretty thick and creamy.


Makes approximately 3.5 cups; about 21 calories per tablespoon

Adapted from a recipe by Branny Boils Over.

Bon Appetit!
The FoodWhore

No comments: