Thursday, April 1, 2010
4 cups sliced strawberries
1/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup margarine
1/2 cup sugar
1 3/4 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup skim milk
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
2 egg whites
2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp turbinado sugar
light cool whip
1. Combine sliced strawberries and 1/4 cup sugar in a bowl; stir well. Cover and chill 2 hours.
2. Preheat oven to 375°.
3. Line a 9-inch cake pan with wax paper. Coat pan with baking spray. (I prefer the kind that comes with flour mixed in.
4. Mix margarine and sugar together in a medium size bowl.
5. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt; stir well.
6. Add flour mixture to sugar mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Stir in extract.
7. Add egg whites into the flour mixture, stirring gently until well-mixed
8. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake at 375° for 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool in pan 10 minutes on a wire rack; remove from pan, and let cool completely on wire rack.
9. Slice the shortcake into 8 wedges. To serve, slice each wedge in half horizontally. Top the bottom half with strawberries and juice. Replace the top of the wedge and top with more strawberries and cool whip. Enjoy!
Makes 8 servings; Roughly 260 calories per serving.