Tuesday, April 8, 2008

The Holy Grail of Hummus

I would like to give a huge shout-out to a fellow food blogger today. Katie, of Good Things Catered, was recently kind enought to share with me her recipe for hummus. I will now profess my undying love for her: "Katie rocks my world!" (At this point, Katie is probably wondering if she should get a restraining order...no worries, I'm just a harmless food whore.)

I used to work at a deli with the most amazing hummus ever. Since then I have been in search of a recipe that could come close to the perfection they served. I tried many different combinations, but they all fell short. Then Katie shared her recipe, found here. It's creamy, delicious, and just what I was looking for.

My favorite way to eat it is spread in a pita with baby spinach, shredded cheese and red peppers. Toss it in the toaster oven til the cheese melts, et voila: a delicious, healthy, vegetarian sandwich.

Thanks again, Katie. And to everyone else, be sure to check out Good Things Catered, which is now my official food blog mentor.

*I've noticed recently that the link to Katie's blog hasn't been working with regularity lately, so here is the hummus recipe:

Ingredients

1 12 oz can chick peas
2 large cloves garlic
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 heaping tbsp tahini (sesame paste--found with ethnic foods)
juice of 1 lemon
1/4 tsp salt

Directions
1. Drain water from the can of chick peas into a small bowl and reserve.

2. In a food processor (or blender), mix together the chick peas with the remaining rest of the ingredients, being careful to add second half of lemon juice and tahini slowly, stopping to taste.

3.  Slowly add reserved water for correct consistency,(about 1-2 minutes) until a smooth, slightly fluid paste is formed.
Note: to dress the hummus up for the table, the traditional way of serving is on a plate, with an extra drizzle of olive oil on top and a sprinkle of paprika and chopped parsley.


Bon Appetit!
The Food Whore

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LOL!!! You are SOOO funny! No restraining order needed, you can visit anytime. Glad you liked the hummus. I've only been making it since I was about 5. Haha. Love it!