Thursday, April 10, 2008

Chocolate Chip Cookies



A couple weeks ago, the pet rescue that I work with hosted a fundraiser with Pampered Chef. Though we were out of town for the party, I was still able to support my favorite canine organzation by ordering online. I purchased a baking stone and rack, which I was very excited to use for the first time. I decided to bake cookies.

Now, I love to cook, but for some reason, I suck at baking. I can make a decent box mix cake, but I burn my cookies. Maybe it's the oven that's older than me or the crappy baking pans I bought....but I burn cookies.

I decided to give it another go with the baking stone. Well, hallalujah! The baking stone is a miracle worker. I put the cookies in the oven as we sat down to dinner and then proceeded to forget about them. (I can't imagine how I manage to burn cookies...) Mr. Food Whore suddenly says, "hey, what about the cookies?" I leap up from dinner. It's now been twice as long as they're suposed to be in the oven. I am expecting billowy clouds of dark smoke when I open the oven, but what do I see? Perfectly baked cookies.

Ingredients
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup white sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs
2 tsps vanilla extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsps hot water
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup chopped walnuts

1. Preheat oven to 350

2. Cream together the butter, white sugar, and brown sugar until smooth.

3. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the vanilla.

4. Dissolve baking soda in hot water.

5. Add to batter along with salt. Stir in flour, chocolate chips, and nuts.

6. Drop by large spoonfuls onto greased baking stone.

7. Bake for about 10 minutes, or until edges are nicely browned.

In my case, it took twice as long to bake. However, I strongly suggest that after 7 minutes you start to check on the cookies every few minutes. You can always bake them longer, but it's pretty hard to un-bake cookies.

Bon Appetit!
The Food Whore

No comments: