Sunday, March 14, 2010

Spicy Black Bean Dip

A few weeks back I picked up some Chipotle Black Bean dip at Publix. It was on sale and I thought I'd give it a whirl. Well, this stuff was delicious.  It was great in a breakfast burrito and it was great just with plain pita chips.  Unfortunately, we're on a bit of a tight budget lately, so splurging on a tiny container of dip is just not an option lately.  So I went in search of a recipe so I could replicate this myself at home.  This recipe is based on one I found on Cooking Light's website.  I tweaked it a bit, of course, because that's what I do.

This is super tasty. It's got a mild kick to it, but it's not very spicy at all, despite the peppers added. If you want to make it a bit hotter, I'd suggest adding a little more spice to the actual dip or sprinkle your favorite hot sauce on top before serving so you swirl your chips through it when scooping it. 

Ingredients
1 can black beans
1/4 cup chopped red onion
1 1/2 tbsp chopped jalapeno
1/4 tsp cumin
2 cloves garlic
dash of crushed red pepper
salt and pepper to taste

Directions
1. Combine all ingredients except the black beans in a small food processor. Pulse to mix.

2. Add the black beans and pulse until well-blended and relatively smooth and creamy.

Makes 1 1/4 cups; 47 calories per 2 tbsp

Serving Suggestion: Spread the black bean dip in a disposable pie tin. Top with a mixture of equal parts low-fat sour cream and guacamole.  Sprinkle with salsa and cheese and pop in the oven until cheese is bubbly for an easy and healthy Mexican dip!

Bon Appetit!
The Food Whore

1 comment:

Lisa said...

DH would love this! Anything spicy!

I gave you a blog award! http://tinyurl.com/ygjre6o