Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Creamy Avocado Vinaigrette Dressing


Okay, so go ahead and add this to my "looks gross, tastes great" list.  I have been on an avocado kick like nobody's business lately.  I've probably had a bit of avocado every day for the past two weeks.  The other day, I bought a bunch of them at the store. I noticed yesterday that a couple were reaching that too-ripe stage, so something had to be done. I was hesitant to make guacamole because that would mean consuming a lot of unhealthy tortilla chips. So I opted for a salad dressing.

While this isn't a true vinaigrette dressing, it does satisfy the urge for a creamy dressing without all the fat and calories of ranch.  The avocado adds a delicious healthy/natural fat in lieu of olive oil.  I promise: this tastes great! And it could also be used as a great veggie dip, or as a spread in Mexican meals.  Honestly, I might even try this on an English muffin for breakfast tomorrow . . . that's how much I love it!

Ingredients:
2 avocados
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 clove garlic
1/4 cup fat free sour cream
4 1/2 tbsp red wine vinegar
2/3 cup water
salt and pepper to taste
dash of hot sauce

Directions:
1. Combine all ingredients in a small food processor and pulse until well blended.

Note: this is a thicker, creamier dressing. To thin it down, you could add more water, red wine vinegar, and/or lemon juice. Play around with consistencies. But just add a little at a time and see how it turns out.  Remember, vinegar or lemon juice will affect the acidity of the dressing and the flavor. Water will likely make it more bland and may increase the need for more seasoning.
Makes about 2 1/2 cups; 1 tbsp is 10 calories!

No comments: