The first time I made dumplings was a disaster. I made them in a pot on the stove and then burned the stew on to the bottom of the pot. And then the whole damn thing tasted like burnt stew...gross! But this time was very successful. Very delicious!
8 cups chicken broth
2 chicken breasts
1 can corn
1 cup peas
1 cup broccoli
1 cup carrots
season with salt, pepper, basil, parsley, and bay leaf
1. Slow cook chicken and broth over night in a crock pot. Shred the chicken.
2. Add the other ingredients and cook on high for another hour.
3. Scoop in dumpling batter and cook for 15-20 minutes or until done.
126 calories per 1 1/2 cups (roughly 6 servings)
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1 teaspoon dried oregano
3 tablespoons margerine
3/4 cup skim milk
1. In a bowl, mix the flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, thyme, parsley, and oregano. Cut in margarine until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Gradually add milk, using just enough to form a thick batter.
2. Use 1/3 cup to scoop batter into your simmering soup or stew, cover, and allow to cook 15 minutes.
Makes 7 dumplings; 132 calories each
The Food Whore