Sunday, February 21, 2010

Baked Potato Soup

As part of my efforts to lose weight, I am trying out new healthier recipes.  Most of these are just lower calorie versions of the original.  Since I'm a self-proclaimed food whore, I'm not usually big on "diet" food.  I don't like fake tasting food. I hate bland stuff. And I detest the taste of fake sweeteners. So rest assured, if the recipe is here, it is food-whore approved.  While nothing can replace heavy whipping cream and butter, I think these healthier recipes are pretty damn good. And good for you.  I'll also be posting nutritional info along with these recipes so you can see for yourself how it compares to the real thing. 

Yes, even with all that cheese and bacon, this is still a healthy recipe!
Ingredients:
10 creamer potatoes
1 bundle of leeks
6 cups broth
2 1/2 cups skim milk
turkey bacon, cooked and chopped
low-fat shredded cheddar cheese
chopped chives
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
1. Chop potatoes and leeks and place in slow cooker on low. Add broth and cook for 6 hours.

2. Strain out the broth. Set aside one cup for use, and feel free to do what you want with the leftovers. You can freeze it or toss it.

3. Place the potatoes back into the crock pot. Add the broth and the milk and mash the potatoes until it's a soft, chunky "soup." It will resemble the texture and color of applesauce.

4. Top with cheese, bacon and chives to serve.

Makes 5 servings; 142 calories each; add 2 slices of chopped turkey bacon (add 50 calories) and 1/4 cup 2% shredded cheddar (add 80 calories)

*Note: I originally posted that 2 slices of Turkey Bacon = 100 calories. This was an error. 2 slices is only 50 calories. Sorry!

Bon Appetit!
The Food Whore

No comments: