Meet Marley. In addition to me and Mr. Foodwhore, there's also a Foodwhore Dog in our happy little home. Marley loves to eat as much as we do. And while he does get table scraps more than he should, we do try to feed him healthy snacks too. This is one of his favorite recipes. And I like it because it's easy and I usually have the ingredients on hand.
I'm also making these for a doggie bake sale I'm going to this weekend. They were a big hit last year.
2 teaspoons dry yeast
1/2 cup lukewarm water
2 tablespoons dry parsley
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
3 tablespoons honey
5-6 cups whole wheat flour
1. Preheat oven to 350 ° F
2. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water.
3. Stir in the parsley, broth, honey, and egg.
4. Gradually blend in flour, adding enough to form a stiff dough. I used like 4-5 cups, not 6.
5. Transfer to a floured surface and knead until smooth (about 3-5 minutes). Shape the dough into a ball, and roll to 1/4-inch (6 mm) thick.
6. Using small bone-shaped cookie cutters, make biscuits! Transfer to ungreased baking sheets, spacing them about 1/4 inch (6 mm) apart. Gather up the scraps, roll out again, and cut additional biscuits.
7. Bake for 30 minutes.
Note: Makes several dozen small bones that keep and freeze well.