Sunday, May 10, 2009

What I'm Eating This Week

In an effort to help readers decide what to cook, I'm going to start posting my weekly meal plans. I usually plan for the week on Sundays and head to the store then too. In a typical week, I plan 3-4 different dinners and we eat leftovers in between. This week, we're headed out of town for a few days, so I'm only planning three meals. Here's what I'm eating this week:

Meal #1: Spicy Grilled Shrimp over yellow rice with a salad
Meal #2: Grilled Chicken Sandwiches with grilled sweet potato chips and grilled vegetable salad
Meal #3: Grilled Tequila Lime Chicken Tacos with yellow rice and black beans

Why did I pick these 3? Well, first they are from two of my favorite food blogs, so I know they will be delicious. Second, I'm really big into grilling right now because it's a healthy way to cook and I don't have to heat up the kitchen. And finally, these are all easy recipes. There's nothing fancy and complex about them...which is perfect for a weeknight meal.

As you can see, I get a lot of my meal ideas from other food bloggers. But I almost never follow the recipe to a T, so be sure to check back and see how I interpretted these dishes and to get reviews on what went well and what didn't.

If you're interested in following my meal plan this week, here's your shopping list:

small bottle gold tequila
7 limes
orange juice
chili powder
1 fresh jalapeno pepper
fresh garlic (2 heads)
6 chicken breasts
3 red peppers
4 large zucchini
1 cucumber
1 container cherry tomatoes
jar pitted kalmata olives
fresh parsley
olive oil
3 lemon
cumin
paprika
1 1/2 lbs shrimp
16 oz plain fat free yogurt
ginger root
chipotle powder
whole wheat sandwich buns
head lettuce
2 large tomato
1 onion
2 avocado
fat free sour cream
yellow rice
2 cans black beans
2 large sweet potatoes

With the herbs and spices, you will only need a small amount. However, each of these is a fairly common spice, so I suggest you invest in a jar. You will certainly use it if you stick with the recipes I post. Common household items, like salt and pepper, are not on the shopping list.

No comments: