5-6 cups of berries (I used 1 1/2 cups blackberries, 1 cup raspberries, 1 cup blueberries, 2 cups strawberries)
1 1/4 white sugar
1/4 cup instant tapioca
1 tbsp lemon juice
2 frozen pie crusts (thawed)
1. Rinse all the berries and slice the strawberries (removing the stem/leaves). Combine in a large bowl.
2. Add sugar, tapioca, and lemon juice and let sit for 2-3 hours so it gets all juicy. I like to stir it every 30-45 minutes.
3. Once it's all juicy, pour the fruit mixture into one of the pie crusts.
4. Remove the other crust from the tin and roll it out on a floured surface. Using a butter knife, cut 1/2"-3/4" thick strips.
5. At one end of the pie crust, lay down one strip of dough vertically. Then alternating over and under with the vertical strip, lay out strips horizontally.
6. Add another vertical strip, alternating over and under the horizontal strips in the opposite direction of the first vertical strip.
*Note: this sounds way more confusing than it actually is. You're making a simple weave pattern. If you handle the dough strips carefully, it's easy to lift them for the over/under pattern.
7. Bake at 350 for approximately 45 minutes or until crust is crispy and golden brown. I suggest you put foil or a baking sheet under the pie, as the juices sometimes boil over and can make a mess in the oven.
8. Let your pie cool for at least 4 hours before serving. This allows the juices to thicken into a delicious pie filling.
It's kind of hard to slice a photogenic piece of pie...it kind of collapsed into fruity goodness...