Monday, May 4, 2009

Blueberry Meatballs

You read that right: BLUEBERRY meatballs. I found this recipe on the new food blog I mentioned a few posts back, A Year in the Kitchen. I love blueberries so I was thrilled to see a post full of recipes containing this delicious little fruit. Mr. FoodWhore gave me another doubtful look. But he was brave and tried it and we were rewarded with a delicious meal.

Ingredients:

Sauce
1 tbsp olive oil
1 red onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 can diced tomatoes
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
2 tbsp dark brown sugar
2 tbsp blueberry blossom honey (I used just regular honey)
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
¼ cup blueberries
1 chipotle in adobo (I subbed a jalapeno since our store didn't have chipotle peppers)

Meatballs
8 oz lean ground turkey
1/2 cup oats, ground
1 egg white
1/2 yellow onion, grated
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

2. Heat olive oil in a small saucepot over medium heat. Add onions and garlic. Season with salt and pepper, sautee for 5 minutes.

3. Add remaining ingredients, bring to a simmer, and cook for 15 minutes.


4. While sauce cooks, prepare meatballs.

5. Heat a nonstick skillet over medium heat.

6. Add all ingredients in a bowl, toss gently, form into 10 meatballs.

7. Spray skillet with nonstick spray, drop in meatballs. Brown on all sides, then place in a baking dish.

8. Spoon all BBQ sauce ingredients into the blender. Blend for 30 seconds.

9. Pour over meatballs, place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes.

I served this over white rice with a veggie on the side. The sauce was delicious. I think the next time we make this, I might even make meatball subs. Can't wait to try this one again.


Bon Appetit!
The Food Whore

No comments: