Thursday, February 14, 2008

Happy V-Day, Foster Dog!

I found this recipe weeks ago and immediately knew that I wanted to make these for Mr. Food Whore for Valentine's Day. I wanted to use Red Velvet cake, so I baked a cake a few days ago, cut it into squares and froze the pieces so they'd be easier to work with. Last night I got home early so I could decorate them while Mr. FW was still at work. I decided that I would give them to him last night as an early surprise since he's been under the weather lately.

It took me about an hour to ice and decorate them. It was incredibly tedious and as I was dipping and redipping, I began to curse the "geniuses" who came up with this idea. Well, I finally got done with the dipping and began to spell out "I love you more" on the pieces of cake. (That's what we have engraved on our wedding rings....aw! Moving on...) I finally finish, and move the 3 heart-shaped plates to the opposite counter so I could wipe up the mess I had made. Not two minutes later, I turn around and our foster dog has his paws on the counter, and IS EATING THE CAKES OFF THE PLATE! I shouted No! He bolted out the door (and refused to come back inside for nearly 2 hours). I simply burst into tears. After all that work....nothing! Well, there was something. He only managed to eat a few pieces, but still, you couldn't tell what it said.

Of course Mr. FW came home a few minutes later and was thrilled with the surprise and proclaimed to love the dessert despite the canine saliva that had tainted a few pieces. The picture below is of the remains. Oh well, better luck next time.

Bon Appetit!
The Food Whore

No comments: