Saturday, January 26, 2013

Mushroom, Spinach and Gouda Stuffed Chicken

Serves: 2

Ingredients:
2 chicken breasts (approx. 1/2 lb each)
olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
10 crimini mushrooms, sliced
1 cup fresh spinach (remove any large stems)
4 thin slices of smoked Gouda

Directions:
1. Slice your chicken breast in half, at a downward angle about 1" from each end to create a pocket.

Note: If you're not seasoned at slicing a chicken breast to be stuffed (and I'm not--my husband did it for me since he was a butcher for a while), then I recommend watching this youtube video which offers a nice explanation of how to do it. (This is not my video. I don't know the person who made it, but I think it shows how to cut well.) There are a few different ways to cut the breast, and as you can tell from my picture, we did it a little differently, but it's the same outcome!



2. Stuff the cheese in the breast first, laying it as flat and evenly spread as possible. Set chicken aside.

3. In a small saute pan, heat your olive oil and saute your garlic and mushrooms for approximately 3 minutes. You want your mushrooms to be cooked, but not overly cooked and mushy.

4. Set mushrooms aside. In the same pan, saute your spinach.

5. Spoon your spinach evenly into each chicken breast. Then add mushrooms.

6. Season with salt and pepper. Bake for 45 minutes at 350* or until chicken reaches 165*.

Nutritional Info: 564 calories per chicken breast

Bon Appetit!
The Food Whore

No comments: