1 medium butternut squash, peeled and chopped (save the seeds)
1 yellow onion, chopped
2 tbsp dried rosemary
1/2 tsp chipotle powder
4 cups water
1/4 cup almond milk
2 tbsp butter (optional--leave this out if you want to make the soup vegan)
2 tsp brown sugar
salt and pepper to taste
1. Toss the butternut squash and onion in a bit of olive oil. Sprinkle with rosemary and half of the chipotle powder. Spread out on a pan and roast for one hour at 350*.
2. Transfer roasted squash to a large stock pot over medium heat. Add the water.
3. Blend the soup using an immersion blender, or transfer to a stand-up blender a little at a time. (I did this in 2 cup increments.)
4. Stir in milk and butter. Reduce heat to a simmer and let sit.
5. Rinse the reserved seeds and pat dry. Toss with a bit of olive oil and spread on a roasting pan in one layer. Sprinkle with brown sugar and remaining chipotle powder. Roast at 350* for 10-12 minutes.
6. Spoon your soup into a bowl. Top with seeds and serve immediately.
Nutritional Info: 157 calories per serving
The Food Whore