Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Daikon Fettuccine


When I first saw this recipe, I was a bit skeptical. I had been Googling what to do with the daikon I got in my CSA box this week. But it is from Martha, so I figured she knows what she's doing . . . what the heck! Well, I was right. Martha knows her stuff. This recipe was delicious. Of course, I couldn't just leave well enough alone and follow her recipe to a t. I made a few changes that turned out quite tasty.

Daikon, for those not in the know (and don't feel bad, I had no idea what that "white carrot" was either when I first saw it) is a Japanese radish. This is a great recipe for daikon, but Google away . . . there are lots others out there.

Serves: 3-4

Ingredients:
1 daikon (approx 12-14" long)
1 15oz can of plum (or "peeled") tomatoes
olive oil
1 small yellow onion, chopped
2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 piece your favorite Italian sausage, chopped (simply omit the sausage if you'd like to make this vegetarian)
3-4 leaves fresh basil, julienned
salt and pepper to taste
fresh grated Parmesan

Directions:
1. Using a vegetable peeler, remove a thin outer layer of the daikon. Then using the peeler, continue to peel long thin "noodles" until you've used up the daikon (or can't peel off any more without risking a finger).

2. Put noodles in a bowl of salty water and let soak for 15-20 minutes.

3. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Saute garlic and onion.

4. Drain tomatoes and reserve liquid. Crush tomatoes in your hand, breaking up into smaller pieces. Toss tomatoes into the skillet to cook with 1/2 the liquid. Add in the basil.

5. Bring to a boil, then lower heat to medium and cook for 15-20 minutes to thicken the sauce.

6. In a small pan, saute the sausage until lightly browned. Toss in with the tomato mixture.

7. Add noodles to tomato sauce. If desired, add the remaining tomato liquid. Cook until heated, about 3-5 minutes.

8. Spoon onto a plate. Top with additional basil and Parmesan. Enjoy!

Note: this would make a great gluten-free Italian dish!

Bon Appetit!
The Food Whore

No comments: