Sunday, January 20, 2013
I love making breakfast on the weekends. All week I eat oatmeal, which is delicious. But after five days straight of oatmeal variations, it's nice to have the time to get a little more creative with our weekend brunches. (Having Mr. FW home to distract the baby FW helps too!)
Now that I've learned how to poach an egg, I feel like that's opened up a whole new world of brunch possibilities. I used to work at a neighborhood restaurant with amazing brunch food. They called their benedicts "bennies," hence the name Bagel Benny.
2 everything bagels
4 slices gouda cheese
1 handful fresh spinach leaves
4 strips turkey bacon
salt and pepper to taste
1. Prepare your bacon strips and set aside.
2. Follow these directions to poach your eggs.
3. While your first egg is cooking, lightly toast your bagels. Remove from toaster and set aside.
4. When last egg is cooking, top each bagel half with cheese and return to toaster oven to melt.
5. Gently place your first three eggs back in the water to warm when last egg has about one minute remaining cook time. Turn off heat.
6. Remove bagels from toaster oven. Top with spinach and bacon. Gently slide an egg on to each half and season with salt and pepper. Enjoy!
Note: I originally intended for this to be eaten with a knife and fork. While it was a little messy, it wasn't too hard to eat with my hands as an open-face bagel.
Nutritional Info: 615 calories per serving
The Food Whore