Last night I had a few girlfriends over for a spa party. We went Greek-themed with the food, but none of us was too excited at the prospect of drinking ouzo. And we also wanted to stay away from our typical beer. While Cosmos are great for a girls' night, they are so 2003, so they were also voted out. So I poked around in the liquor cabinet and got a bit creative.
The recipe below makes one cocktail.
2 oz basil and cucumber infused gin
1 lime wedge
1/4 tsp strawberry syrup (daquiri mix will work)
cucumber slice (optional)
1. To make infused gin: in a sealable container combine 1/2 of a sliced cucumber, 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves and gin (as much as you want for the drinks). Shake vigorously and place in the frige for 3 days. Shake once a day. Strain out the cucumber and basil, and voila: infused gin!
2. Pour the infused gin into a cocktail shaker. Squeeze the lime wedge into the shaker and toss in the wedge.
3. Add the strawberry syrup and ice and shake.
4. Strain into a martini glass. Fill the rest of the way with ginger ale.
5. Garnish with a cucumber slice.
Note: this recipe makes a great summer cocktail and would also work with vodka if you prefer or over ice to keep it chilled on a hot summer day.
The Food Whore