Monday, July 25, 2011

Meatless Monday: Creamy Baked Zucchini

I love summer squash, so when I saw this recipe (suggested by Fresh Picks), I knew I was going to try it. Growing up and as I first started to cook for myself, I often ate veggies as a side item. But learning to use them as a main course has been a lot of fun. This was one of those main courses that provided lots of flavor and was a filling meal without being too much for a hot summer night.

Creamy Baked Zucchini
(inspired by Fresh Picks' recipe)
Ingredients
2 medium zucchini
olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup onion, diced
2-3 cups kale leaves, chopped into small pieces
4 oz cream cheese
2/3 cup parmesan cheese, divided
salt and pepper to taste

Directions
1. Clean your zucchini, cut off the ends, and slice them longways down the middle.

2. Hollow out the two halves. I found that a melon baller worked best for this. Be careful to leave the sides and bottom in tact. Chop the zucchini flesh into slightly smaller pieces and reserve.

3. In a sautee pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat and sautee onions and garlic until translucent.

4. Add in the kale and zucchini flesh and cook until kale leaves are wilted.

5. Stir in the cream cheese and half of the parmesan cheese. Season with salt and pepper and mix well until cream cheese is melted and kale is coated.

6. Carefully fill the hollowed out zucchini pieces with the creamy filling.  Top with remaining parmesan cheese and bake in the oven at 350* for approximately 10 minutes.

Serves 2

Bon Appetit!
The Food Whore

No comments: