Monday, April 4, 2011

Rainbow / Swiss Chard


Chard is one of those foods I have repeatedly heard about, but had never tried. To be honest, I don't think I could have picked it out in my produce section without a big obvious label. But lately, I have heard more and more and more about chard. My interest was finally piqued when I read in Animal Vegetable Miracle that chard is the one vegetable that Barbara Kingsolve (the author--and one of my favorites) could not live without. Then a few days later, I found out chard was going to be in our first Fresh Picks delivery box. While I wanted to try the Eggs in a Nest recipe found in Animal Vegetable Miracle, I didn't get a chance this week. Our schedules just got away from us, so I opted to just sautee the chard and serve it as a side with roasted chicken.

Sauteed Chard with Leeks

Ingredients
1-2 cloves garlic, chopped
3/4 cups leeks, sliced
1 bunch chard
olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

Directions
1. Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium-low heat. Toss in garlic and leeks and heat until leeks are soft and slightly translucent.

2. While garlic is cooking, rinse and chop chard. Both the stems and the leaves are edible. Toss in the stems first, and let them cook for 2-3 mintues before adding the leaves.

3. Cook for 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally. When the leaves are wilted, it's done.


4. Season to taste and serve. Makes 2-4 servings.

served with roasted chicken and baked sweet potatoes


Bon Appetit!
The Food Whore

No comments: