Mr. FoodWhore and I both love chicken pot pie. It's a great winter meal and great for freezing leftovers. I also like that it's really easy to make this a healthy meal. I've made chicken pot pie the traditional way, with pie crust, and in less-traditional ways, topping it with corn bread. This time I wanted to try topping it with biscuits. This was equally delicious, and turned out to be a little more like chicken and dumplings, hence the name: Chicken and Dumplings Pot Pie!
4 potatoes, chopped
1 medium white onion, chopped
4 carrots, sliced
3 1/2 cups skim milk
mushroom soup mix
2 large chicken breasts, chopped
1/2 cup frozen peas (no need to thaw)
1/2 cup frozen corn (no need to thaw)
1 tube of ready-to-bake biscuits
salt and pepper
1. Bring a pot of water to boil and add the potatoes. Cook until softened, but not mushy.
2. While the potatoes are boiling, heat a small amount of olive oil in a large skillet. Add the onions and sautee until soft.
3. Add the carrots to the skillet and continue to cook for about five minutes.
4. Add the milk and soup mix to the skillet, stirring to mix well.
5. Add the chicken pieces, corn and peas and cook for five more minutes.
6. Add in the potatoes and mix.
7. Pour the entire mixture carefully into a greased 9 x 13 pan.
8. For the top layer, you'll need to pull apart seven raw biscuits. There should be a bit of layers to the biscuit to guide this. I used my hands, but you could try a knife too. It was relatively easy. Most tubes have eight biscuits. I only used seven.
9. Season the top of the biscuits with salt, pepper, paprika and parsley.
10. Bake at 350* for approximately 15 minutes or until the tops of the biscuits are a light golden brown.
This recipe yields 8 servings at 360 calories each.
The Food Whore