Tuesday, January 6, 2009
Chicken Pot Pie
I saw a recipe similar to this on Oprah one day and decided to try it myself since Mr. Foodwhore loves both cornbread and chicken pot pie. It was a success. This recipe (excluding a 2nd box of cornbread mix) is enough for two pies. I froze half of the filling for another time.
1 can green beans
1 can corn
3 chicken breasts
2 cans condensed cream of chicken soup (or other cream of soup)
salt and pepper to taste
Jiffy cornbread box mix, prepared according to box
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Dice potatoes and carrots and steam until soft, but not over cooked.
3. Dice onion and sautee it in a bit of olive oil until translucent.
4. Chop the chicekn into bite-sized pieces and add to the onions and cook.
5. When chicken is done, add in potatoes and carrots and reduce heat to medium low. Add in green beans and corn.
6. Stir in cans of soup and add one can of water. Mix well, but carefully so as not to smash the veggies.
7. Season to taste and pour half of the mixture into a greased pie pan. The other half can be frozen for another time.
8. Top the mixture with the prepared cornbread mix. Spread evenly. It will be a bit thin, but it's enough. Salt and pepper.
9. Cook for 20-25 minutes or until the cornbread is done.