Saturday, January 15, 2011

Banana Nut Carrot Bread

As I've mentioned before, it's my goal to save money this year, especially in the kitchen. To do that, I'm trying to cut down on the food waste we toss out. This week I made both banana bread and carrot cake cupcakes, and I had remaining ingredients laying around preparing to go bad. So I put on my creative cooking hat and mixed up a new concoction: Banana Carrot Nut Bread!

It's a little bit Banana Nut Bread and a little bit Carrot Cake. And a lot delicious. It's good with coffee for breakfast or as an afternoon snack.  I prefer it warmed up with a little butter, but it's moist enough that you don't need to add anything.

Ingredients

1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup honey
2 eggs, beaten
1 overly ripe banana, mashed
1 cup shredded carrots
1/4 cup of your favorite baking nuts, finely chopped (I used almonds)

Directions
1. Grease a loaf pan with non-stick spray. If you don't have a loaf pan, you could use muffin tins or a 9 x 9 pan.


2. In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt.

3. In a separate bowl, cream together butter and brown sugar and honey.

4. Stir in eggs and mashed bananas until well blended.

5. Stir banana mixture into flour mixture. Add carrots and nuts. Mix well.

6. Pour batter into prepared loaf pan. Bake at 350* for 50 minutes. Cool in pan for about 10 minutes, then transport loaf to a baking rack to cool completely.



Bon Appetit!
The Food Whore

No comments: