Monday, March 1, 2010

Wilton Cake Decorating Classes

For my mom's birthday, I wanted to give her a one-of-a-kind gift. I racked my brain for a few weeks and finally decided on a Wilton Cake Decorating class that we could take together.  Mama Food Whore loves to cook and bake as much as I do, and I knew it would be a fun experience to take the class together.  Fortunately, she loved the idea as much as I did and a couple of weeks ago we had our first class.

So far, I really love the classes. I consider myself a little beyond "beginner" status, but I've still learned several new techniques in these first two classes of Course 1.  I definitely recommend taking these classes. I think even experienced bakers can learn a thing or two. 

My only reservation about the course is the amount of supplies needed. As part of my mom's present, I bought her the Wilton Cake "tackle-box" of supplies (I think it's the 50 piece set).  The label on the caddy says that it includes everything needed for Course 1. So I thought we were all set.  Boy, was I wrong! 
I still definitely recommend getting one of these caddies because it's a good start and a great place to store all your supplies.  Grab a 40% Michael's coupon in your Sunday paper and you can save a good amount on this caddy. But keep in mind there's a lot of other little things you will need.  I didn't mind because I plan to continue on with other Wilton courses, but I did feel bad because I thought I'd bought my mom everything she needed for the class and we ended up buying quite a bit of other stuff. 

If you really didn't want to buy all the stuff, you might be able to get away with it, but I figure if you're in the class, you probably are very interested in cake decorating and want all the proper equipment to be successful. Just keep clipping those 40% coupons and stock up on things little-by-little.  It also helped that Michael's recently had a big President's Day sale with additional coupons for 60% off one item and 20% off the whole bill. If you're considering taking one of these classes, let me know and I can send you the whole supply list so you can stock up on your supplies with coupons so you don't have to break your budget buying it all at once.

What really encouraged me to take these classes is the amazing desserts created by Katie of Good Things Catered.   I can't wait to be at her level of decorating.  Check out her Wilton posts and be inspired!

Bon Appetit!
The Food Whore

No comments: