Monday, November 30, 2009

Cookie Dough Cupcakes



For Thanksgiving, my mom makes way too many pies.  Unfortunately, my sister is not a fan of pie.  She thinks that real desserts do not involve fruit, but chocolate instead. So every year there's some chocolate dessert for her. This year, Mr. Foodwhore and I were brainstorming delicious dessert combinations and came up with Cookie Dough Cupcakes.  I wasn't sure exactly how to execute this plan, but they were a success!

Ingredients
Your favorite chocolate cupcake recipe, prepared and baked
Your favorite chocolate chip cookie dough recipe, prepared
whipped vanilla icing
whipped chocolate icing
melon baller

Directions
1. Bake your favorite chocolate cupcakes and allow to cool. For simplicity, I used a box mix.  I found the cupcakes easier to handle/scoop after chilling in the fridge over night.



2. With a melon baller, scoop out the middle of the cupcake.  Then scoop out another bit below the original hole.  Don't scoop all the way to the bottom though.



3. You'll have a ball-shaped piece of cake and a bit of scraps.  Feel free to munch on the scraps, but hang on to the ball shape that you scooped out first.  You'll need that soon.


4. Once you're done scooping all of the cupcakes, use the melon baller to scoop the chilled cookie dough.  Using your hands, roll the scoops of dough into smooth balls. 


5. Drop the ball of dough into the cupcake and push it down with your thumb to flatten the top a bit.


6. Place the "cap" of cake back on the cupcake.




7. I wanted a light chocolate icing.  I mixed a chocolate and vanilla icing together. 


8. Ice your cupcakes. I used an icing bag to pipe it on instead of spreading it on.  I was worried that spreading would rip the "cap" back out of the cupcake. 


9. For optional topping, sprinkle with Oreo cookie crumbs.




Bon Appetit!
The Foodwhore

No comments: