Monday, September 21, 2009

Rosemary Roast Chicken Salad

Chicken salad is one of my favorite summer time lunches. Typically, I make my chicken salad with deli chicken. But I decided to go even more home-made this time around. And I had to incorporate Rosemary because I have it growing in my yard, and home-grown is always the way to go. For this recipe, I roasted 6 chicken breasts. This made a lot of chicken salad. Probably next time around I'd only use 4 breasts.

Ingredients
6 bone-in chicken breasts
8-10 small Rosemary stalks
2 cups diced celery
1 cup dried cranberries
3 tbsp dijon mustard
1/2 cup sun-flower seeds
1/2 white onion, diced
1+ cup mayo
salt and pepper to taste

Directions
1. Slide the stalks of Rosemary under the skin of the chicken breasts. Season with salt and pepper.



2. Cook the chicken breasts on the grill at 250 degrees. This will take approx. 30 minutes, but use a meat thermometer to determine when they are done.



3. Allow the breasts to cool some, but while they are still warm, slide the bones out of the chicken breasts. If you do this while it's still warm, it's very easy.



4. In a medium sized bowl, combine all of the other ingredients, excluding the mayo. Mix well.



5. Chop the chicken into bite-sized pieces. In a large bowl, mix the mayo and chicken. I used only about a cup of mayo because I like it drier. Use as much mayo as you like, but I recommend adding it a little bit at a time. A little goes a long way, and you can't un-add it.

6. Mix in the other ingredients and stir well.



This chicken salad is great by itself, on a salad, or on a tortilla wrap with leaf lettuce!


Bon Appetit!
The FoodWhore

No comments: