Sunday, July 26, 2009

Goat Cheese and Chicken Sausage Grilled Flat Bread



We had to do something with the leftover chicken sausage and I had been craving pizza. But I didn't want a thick, heavy pizza, nor did I want to heat up the kitchen. So I whipped up this light flatbread pizza that can be cooked on the grill.

Ingredients
Pizza dough
2 cups spaghetti sauce
1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
1/2 white onion, sliced thin
3/4 cup goat cheese crumbles
2 chicken sausage, quartered and chopped
2-3 cups grated mozzarella
5-6 fresh basil leaves, sliced thin

Directions

1. The last time I made pizza dough, it didn't rise. Bad yeast, I suppose. So this time, I bought ready-made dough at Publix. Either way, prepare the dough and roll out into a thin layer on a greased large piece of tin foil. It doesn't have to be a circle. We opted for an oddly shaped rectangle of sorts.



2. Spread on a thin layer of spaghetti sauce. Leave just a thin edge of crust, and make sure you don't put to much in the middle. That will make it hard to hold a slice if the middle is too heavy.



3. Sprinkle on tomatoes and onions.



4. Add your goat cheese and sausage.



5. Top with mozzarella and fresh basil.



6. Cook on a grill pre-heated to 350. I used a large cutting board to transport the whole thing out to the grill. You'll cook the flatbread still on the foil, so just slide the whole thing onto a cutting board, take it to the grill and slide the whole thing on to the grill.

7. It will take about 15-20 minutes to cook. Check periodically. You're looking for the crust to darken and the cheese to bubble up. Lift a corner of the crust to see if the bottom is getting crispy and light brown. That's a sign that it's done.



Bon Appetit!
The FoodWhore

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This looks delicious! I'm making it for dinner this week. Goat cheese is one of my favorite things in the whole world.