Thursday, July 16, 2009
Chicken Sausage, 2 Ways (Part 1)
Last week, I gave Mr. Foodwhore the task of grocery shopping. He came home with chicken sausage. His idea was to grill up sausage dogs, but we also stretched the sausage leftovers to make two delicious dishes. The best thing about both of these meals was that neither required us to heat up the kitchen. We took the cooking outside and used our grill, which kept our house nice and cool.
Here's our first meal.
Grilled Chicken Sausage Dogs
1/2 green bell pepper sliced
1/2 white onion, sliced
1 large potato sliced thin
1. If your grill has a side burner, preheat a large sautee pan and cook down the onions and green peppers. The onions should be transparent, but it's best to add the peppers a minute or so after the onions so they retain some crispiness.
2. Once the onions and peppers are done, set aside and cover so they stay warm. Add 2 tbsp of olive oil to the pan and heat to medium high. Add the potatoes and pan fry.
3. Heat the grill to 350 and add the chicken sausage. Chicken sausage usually comes pre-cooked, so basically you're just heating it up. Make sure the kind you get is cooked.
4. Make sure to turn the potatoes often to get them crispy on all sides. Also, make sure to turn the sausage frequently to get grill marks on all sides.
5. When the sausages are "done," remove from the heat. Add mustard, peppers and onions to the bun and top off with sausage.
6. Salt and pepper your fries and enjoy!