Friday, November 14, 2008
When Mr. Foodwhore and I were in Chicago, we headed to lunch in Greek Town and sampled the most delicious gyros ever. Neither of us had had lamb before, and we were hooked. Mr. Foodwhore dreams about those gyros, and while our local gyro place is pretty good, we're both jonesin' to get back to Zeus's in Chi-Town.
In the meantime, though, we're going to have to stick with this recipe.
lean ground turkey*
salt and pepper
*We often use ground turkey because it is healthier. You could easily substitute ground beef in this recipe.
1. Sautee ground turkey in a little bit of olive oil and garlic. Season with coriander, cumin, salt and pepper.
2. While turkey is cooking, chop up the lettuce, onion, cucumber, and tomatoes.
3. When the turkey is cooked through, set it aside on low heat.
4. Prepare tzatziki sauce. We used this recipe and it was delicious.
5. The pitas are better when warm. Place a couple pitas on a plate and cover with a damp paper towel. Nuke for 30 seconds.
6. Scoop meat onto the pita. Top with lettuce, tomato, cucumber, onion, and sauce. Enjoy!
We served ours with Sweet Potato Fries. For a delicious recipe, check out Good Things Catered. The tzatziki sauce is great for dipping the fries.
The Food Whore