I have to admit, I bought salsa for many years, but after discovering this recipe for home-made salsa I will never buy again. I found the recipe for Salsa Borracha (drunk salsa) on allrecipes.com. I've tweaked it a bit to make it my own. It's super-easy and super-delicious, and it's a synch to adapt it to your own personal taste.
Salsa Borracha (Drunk Salsa)
4 fresh tomatoes
1 can diced jalapenos
1 (12 fluid ounce) bottle Mexican beer (or light beer)
1/2 cup water, or as needed
1 clove garlic
1 slice onion
salt to taste
favorite hot sauce (optional)
1. Place the tomatoes and jalapenos in a medium saucepan with the beer. Add enough water to cover the tomatoes and bring to a boil.
2. Let boil for a few minutes, then turn the heat down to simmer for 10-15 minutes.
3. Remove from heat. Let the tomato mixture cool for a few minutes.
4. In a food processor or blender, combine tomato mixture, onions, and garlic. Blend until pureed.
5. Add salt and hot sauce until seasoned to taste. Mix well.
6. Pour the salsa through a strainer to remove excess liquid. The salsa will still be warm at this point. I suggest chilling it in the fridge for at least 90 minutes before serving. Serve with tortilla chips.
The Food Whore