Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Rhubarbarita!


"Rhubarbarita!"

That's just fun to say. Especially after you've had a rhubarbarita or two.

Last week we got rhubarb in the FP box. The only dish I've heard of with rhubarb is rhubarb pie. But I didn't want to make a pie. I was at a loss until I saw Fresh Picks' suggestion of making a rhubarb simple syrup for cocktails (and non-alcoholic drinks). I love finding recipes like this. It's a fun new twist on a margarita and makes me feel a little more grown-up than if I'd gone to the store and bought that bottle of bright greenish-yellow "margarita" mix.

I followed the recipe above, although I scaled back as I only had about 1 lb of rhubarb. It was enough to make 2-3 cocktails. Once we had the syrup in hand, here's the cocktail I made:

Rhubarbarita!

Ingredients
2 oz your preferred tequila
1 oz triple sec
2 oz rhubarb syrup
juice of 1-2 lime wedges

Directions
1. Mix all the ingredients in a cocktail shaker and shake vigorously so you get a nice frothy beverage.

2. Rim a glass with sugar or salt.

Note: we went with sugar this time to counteract the bitterness of the rhubarb, but it was too sweet for my taste. I much prefer salt on the rim.

3. Fill your glass with crushed ice. If you don't have crushed ice, toss some ice cubes in a plastic bag and pound out some of your rage with a small kitchen mallet.

4. Pour the mix over ice and go sit in a nice sunny spot in the yard. Be sure to shout "Viva la Rhubarbarita!" when you toast your friends.

Note: that last part is optional, but I think it makes the drink taste better.

Bon Appetit!
The Food Whore

No comments: