Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Chard Out the Wazzoo!



A couple of months ago, I signed up for a program called One Seed Chicago. If you've ever heard of the idea of a whole city reading the same book at one time, it's basically the gardener's equivalent of that. So I signed up and voted for chard as this year's seed. I promptly forgot all about it. Until a couple weeks ago when I opened my Fresh Picks box and found a little envelope that said "One Seed Chicago: Open to see this year's winner." I opened and discovered it was a handful of chard seeds.

I happily planted my chard. A few days later, another little One Seed Chicago envelope came in the mail--with more chard seeds! Apparently this envelope was the one I'd signed up for. The one in my FP box was a bonus. So I planted more chard.

Then last week, I opened my FP box and discovered a THIRD little envelope with more chard seeds. Holy cow! I haven't planted this packet yet. I'm hoping to space them out a bit so we'll have plenty of chard for a while. This was way more than I expected when I signed up for One Seed Chicago--not that I'm complaining. I love it!

Also, as a side note, the past two weeks, my FP box has included living basil! So I've added all 4 plants to my garden. I'm so excited that now we have some basil to sustain us until my plants start producing. I cannot say enough good things about Fresh Picks. Seriously, check them out if you're in the Chicago area.

No comments: