Thursday, April 28, 2011

Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps


I have to admit, I was pretty proud of myself for how these turned out. I know I'm a good cook, but I am not one of those badass food stylist/photographers who makes food look stunning. But I was quite pleased with how these looked on the plate, as well as with how delicious they tasted. I made Mr. FoodWhore just sit and admire them with me for a minute before we dug in.

I made these for dinner one night, served with some fried rice on the side, but they given their single-serving, finger-food capabilities, I think these would be great as an appetizer or for entertaining too.

Ingredients
juice of one orange
1/2 tsp corn starch
2 tbsp soy sauce
olive oil
1 bunch pea shoots
2-3 green onions, sliced
1 carrot
1 large chicken breast, cooked and pulled
boston lettuce
sesame seeds (optional)

Directions
1. Mix the orange juice, corn starch, soy sauce and 1 tbsp olive oil to make a marinade for the chicken. We used a chicken breast from a roasted chicken the night before. If you're using single chicken breasts, you may want to use two. Cook and pull the chicken and toss it in the marinade and set aside for now.

2. In a small skillet, heat some olive oil and sautee the green onions. As they become softer, add the pea shoots. Sautee for 2-3 more minutes. Don't overcook the pea shoots...they are better when still crispy.

Note: Pea shoots were a food I had never cooked with before. Recipes online were not very clear on what part of the shoots you ate. We received the pea shoots in our Fresh Picks box, with roots and all. Finally, I made a decision and cut off the peas and roots at the bottom and we just used the actual stems/shoots and leaves. Delicious!

3. While the onions/peas are cooking, rinse 6-8 Boston lettuce leaves and arrange on a plate.

4. Using a vegetable peeler, slice off 3-4 pieces of carrot for each piece of lettuce.

5. In the final minute of cooking the pea shoots, add in the chicken and marinade and mix well.

6. Scoop chicken and pea shoots onto the lettuce leaves. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve.

Note: we had extra chicken that I served alongside the wraps. We ate this with the rice and piled the wraps a little higher than pictured.

Bon Appetit!
The Food Whore

No comments: