Sunday, October 11, 2009

Tropical Chicken Salad

For most of the country, it's starting to get cold out and that means heartier, warm foods. Here in the south, it's still 90+ degrees all week.  So I'm still eating like it's summer time.  This is a great, tasty salad that is light in calories, but will fill you up.  I love the combinations of flavors: sweet fruit, tangy dressy, crunchy almonds!




Ingredients
2-3 cups of your favorite greens (I use spring greens and butter lettuce mixed)
1/2 chicken breast, grilled and sliced
1/3 cup red onion, diced
1/3 cup mandarin oranges
1/4 cup sliced almonds
1/4 cup craisins
2 tbsp goat cheese
your favorite dressing

Directions
This one's pretty easy. Toss it all in a bowl and serve immediately.  If you're feeling fancy, you can make it look all pretty like I did. 

The measurements are all pretty estimated...add more of what you like and less of what you don't.  It's not an exact science. 

For dressings, I used Kraft's Low-Fat Asian Sesame Ginger. Normally I like home-made, but this is a damn good dressing, and it does not taste low fat. (And no, Kraft didn't pay me to say that.  But if they'd like to, I'd be happy take their money!)

Note: Other great toppings for this salad are: grilled shrimp, granny smith apples, sunflower seeds, grilled pineapple, feta cheese, etc. . . .

No comments: