Monday, September 14, 2009

Fish Tacos



The other night, Mr. FoodWhore and I went to eat at a local neighborhood restaurant, The Red Onion. Fish Tacos were on the menu. I've seen these around from time to time, but I've never been brave enough to try them...until the other night. Oh my goodness! They were delicious. I put them up there on my Top 10 Best Meals List! Seriously.

I got home that night, and for days later, all I could think about was those fish tacos. I had to try to replicate them. I think I did a pretty good job.

Ingredients
1 1/2 lbs mahi mahi
cajun/blackening seasoning
lime juice
8" tortillas
1 1/2 cups shredded lettuce
1 avocado, sliced
1 cup cole slaw
1 cup fresh salsa

Directions
1. Coat the mahi in the blackening seasoning and cook in a skillet over medium heat. Cook for 3-4 minutes on one side. Then squirt with lime juice and flip over. Cook another 3-4 minutes on the other side, or until mahi is solid white and flaky.



2. While mahi is cooking, shred the lettuce and slice the avocado.



3. For cole slaw, I use my grocery store's mix. The dressing is easy to make (vinegar, sugar and mayo). You only need about a cup, so don't make the whole bag unless you want a lot of leftovers!

4. Salsa can be home-made (preferred) or your favorite store-bought kind.

5. Once the mahi is done, slice a chunk of it off and lay across the middle of a tortilla. Top with salsa, avocado, lettuce and cole slaw. The cole slaw may sound weird, but the sweet coolness is a great contrast to the spicy hot fish. It's delicious!!!

Note: this recipe yields 4-6 tacos, depending on how much you stuff into the tortilla!



Bon Appetit!
The FoodWhore