Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Chicken Salad for the Food Whore's Soul



Growing up, my mom used to make the BEST chicken salad. Most of the time I skipped the bread and just ate it by the spoonful. It was quicker and easier that way. I like to think that I've mastered Mom's chicken salad.

Ingredients:
3 1/4" slabs of deli chicken, diced
2-3 stalks celery, finely chopped
3/4 cup craisins
1/2 cup walnuts, finely chopped (pine nuts, sunflower seeds or pecans can be substituted)
1 green apple diced (peel is ok)
1/2 onion, diced
1/2 cup mayo
1/4 cup dijon mustard
salt and pepper to taste

1. Mix all ingredients in a bowl. (I prefer a more dry salad, so I use less mayo/mustard to start with and work my way up. You can always add more, and a little goes a long way.)

2. Serve on a sandwich, in a pita, or on a bed of lettuce as a salad. Or, as I mentioned before, skip all the extras and just eat it on its own.

Bon Appetit!
The Food Whore

No comments: