Bacon and egg salad? Have I lost my mind? (The answer to that is yes, but I lost it long ago.) This hearty bacon and egg salad is a delicious treat that even the most manly of pallettes will adore. This is not a girly salad for the faint of heart...quite literally, if you have heart problems you should probably omit bacon and eggs from your diet all together. Mr. Food Whore and I LOVE this salad. I can't wait to make it again. This recipe originally came from Real Simple magazine, but it's been tweaked a little.
4 hard-boiled eggs
6 slices of bacon, cooked
1/2 red onion chopped
1/2 cup feta crumbles
2 cups croutons (see below for home-made)
1 1/2 bags mixed greens
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp oregano
1. Cook the hard-boiled egg and bacon. Chop up both and set aside to cool in a large bowl.
2. To make home-made croutons, chop 4 slices of day-old bread into bite size pieces. Sautee some garlic in olive oil in a large skillet until browned. Add the bread. Stir frequently. Takes about 7-10 minutes for bread to become toasted.
3. While bread is toasting, chop onions, crumble feta and mix with egg and bacon.
4. Add in the lettuce.
5. When croutons are done, let cool for a few minutes, then mix into the lettuce and toppings.
6. To make the dressing, mix olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice and oregano in a container that can be tightly sealed. Shake vigorously to mix. Pour over salad, stir and serve.
The Food Whore