Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Post-Game Analysis

The Chili Bar


Super Bowl Sunday was a success. The game was great, the food was delicious, and the company was enjoyable. The only part I didn't like was the weak commercials. There were a few good ones, but overall I was disappointed. (My faves: FedEx's "Carrier Pigeons" and Tide's "Talking Stain").

The chili turned out great. Even though my large crock pot was over-flowing, it went down faster than Tom Brady at the hands of the Giant's D-Line. My friend, Coy, consumed 5 bowls, which I guess is the ultimate compliment to the chef. In fact, when I went to have my first (and only) serving at half-time, I had to scrape the bottom of the bowl to get a ladle-full. Everyone raved about it and was so impressed with all the toppings available. I actually meant to tell everyone it was actually ground turkey instead of beef, but it slipped my mind. I don't think anyone could tell, though.


My Chili


For the first time, I served cornbread with my chili. Typically, I do a sour dough loaf, but a co-worker suggested cornbread. The combination of the sweet bread with the spicy chili was delicious. I will certainly go the cornbread route again.


I also made a few revisions to my original chili "guidelines" that I posted last week. I added some fresh peppers and some ground dried peppers. I used 1/2 poblana, 1/2 jalapeno, 1 tsp habanero, and 1/2 scotch bonnet. I also ground up an ancho chile and a pasillo chile into powder. (Warning: wear gloves when handling these peppers!)

The football dip and bean dip were also quite successful. I've learned over the years to make only a half pan of the bean dip when there's a smaller crowd. Otherwise everyone stuffs themselves on it until they are sick. Then we all sit around moaning and clutching our stomachs and wondering why we don't have better self-control. (Sometimes I think I do put crack in it).

the football cream cheese dip

Extreme Close-Up of Football Details




As for my piece de resistance, the cake was amazing. Mr. Food Whore was a wonderful consultant. He helped out by properly lining up the teams in an accurate formation. He also informed me where all 7 of the referees should be situated. (The only thing missing was Bellichek's hidden camera.) I was thrilled with how this cake turned out. So much so that I took about 20 pictures of it. Below are a few of my favorite takes. All of the guests were massively impressed. And I had to convince them that it was ok to eat; I had taken enough pictures by which to remember it. (An extra special Thank You to Mrs. White who shared her recipe for this cake with me.)



The Super Bowl Cake



Close up of centerfield


Just like the '72 Dolphins, I would say my Super Bowl gathering was perfect.

Bon Appetit!
The Food Whore

No comments: