Wednesday, January 23, 2008

A Formal Introduction

I am a Florida girl, born and raised (go Gators!), and settling in to my first year of marriage. I love college basketball and football, playing with my dog, decorating my house, reading a good book, and spending time at the beach.

I also love to cook. I love everything about food, from selecting fresh produce to playing with new spice combinations. I relish sitting down to a delicious home-cooked meal and savoring every bite. I love the smells, the preparation, the recipe-tweaking. I love browsing cooking stores and thumbing through cook-books. (Right after we unpacked our wedding presents, my husband would find me in the kitchen, staring lustily at my new pots and pans and coordinated serving pieces. I still do this from time to time.) Cooking to me is a cathartic experience. When I need to relax and unwind, I head to the kitchen to let my creative juices flow.

My love of cooking, and all things food-related, comes from my parents. Growing up, I watched them cook everything from mac-n-cheese to gourmet meals. I remember my dad spending days in the kitchen perfecting a sauce, or tediously tending to a chicken that needed basting. I would listen to my mom describe the 12 course meal she enjoyed in New Orleans. Back then, I was nicknamed "the food whore." I would eat anything and everything, as opposed to my sister who munched nearly exclusively on white and yellow foods (mashed potatoes, corn, bread, cheese, mayonaise, ice cream).

One memory I have from growing up is from a sleep-over at a friend's house. It was the middle of the night, and we were hungry. I did a quick survery of the kitchen and with a little creativity, concocted a delicious vegetable soup. (I recognize that this is not normal 13 year old slumber party behavior).

I love trying new foods and throwing together new recipes. For my 20th birthday, I requested dinner at Emeril's. My parents obliged. Since then I've been hooked. If we could afford to, I would be a stay-at-home-wife, so I could cook all day. (A girl can dream, can't she?)

So this is my blog. These are the confessions of a food whore. I'll share my recipes, my ideas, my triumphs and failures (hopefully not too many). I'll even throw in my entertaining tips (I'm an event planner) and some food crafts. If you're looking for indulgent desserts, fun ideas, and healthy, quick dinners, this is the place for you.

Bon Appetit!
The Food Whore

No comments: